Well, I have just got back from the Overland Track yet again.
Something about this walk just suits me, whilst it’s not hard walking the length of the trip and food to carry can add more of a logistical hardship to the trip.
Below I will share some of my tips for the track in no particular order.
- Pack light. This year my pack weight when leaving Ronny Creek was 13.7kg. This included all my gear and 10 days worth of food. This resulted in a much easier walk with less fatigue and the only thing I missed was a good book to read.
- The tent platform anchors you can buy on Ali express are fantastic for helping to secure your tent to the platform.
- I ditched the typical sleeping bag in favor of a quilt, the Ember 3 from sea to summit. Any time I felt cool, I put on a hat and fleece inside the bag and slept well.
- Generally the walking days are short, 3 to 4 hour days with plenty of side trips available. Get up early and get moving so you have the freedom to do the side trips.
- Currawongs will find a way into your pack to get at your food and rubbish. When you drop your pack to do one of the side tracks make sure you secure your pack. A pack cover works well but make sure it’s tight. I saw a Currawong get a pack cover off and pull out a poorly secured rubbish bag. Crafty little buggers.
- Ear plugs. Snoring. Enough said.